Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rocks and Angels

I guess the first rock bouncing itself down the hill (in other words, my adventures with just starting this blog) has loosened other rocks around me, and I'm hearing exciting tales of other blogs taking shape and new challenges calling you to be a "bigger" you.

Which leads me to the question....are we all energetic catalysts for each other, because we just cannot lead ourselves out of the woods?

As a Coach (who does 99% of her sessions via phone), I love being that energy on the other end of the line...holding the vision when my clients cannot see themselves as the talents, abilities, and wonders they are. And I love it when someone can hold that vision for me (which many of you have done these last few days)!

That's why I think we are all "angels" on this planet, with a lifelong job description of lighting the way for each other, when the other can see only blackness ahead of them. "It's this way....just follow my voice...I can help you down this path until you remember the way again for yourself."

Problem is, sometimes the blackness isn't so abstractly romantic. It looks awfully similar to a spouse leaving you, a parent abusing you, a child tuning you out, a car accident putting you in a wheelchair, or your business falling apart. For my clients, all these times of darkness are not so easily dispelled, and that's where the work comes in to crank up the lantern again from within.

Speaking of which, check out my dear friend Alan Cohen's online video called "The Guru Within". It's just a few minutes, but it's a powerful and delightful message the way he gives it.

I once told my inspirational friend Margaret (founder of the What If? Foundation), that I felt like she was holding up a light ahead of me in the thick, dark, and scary forest, leading me along. She said, "Well, I may be holding up a light, Kristelle, but we are holding hands and walking along side by side." When I look back on that time now, we were probably glowing together, lit from within!

So here's a toast to our fellow Angels, who help us along the way by holding the vision we cannot. Happy Trails to you all...

2 comments:

  1. Nice entry.

    Good mention about darkness. I don't like it when I hear about coaches dismissing "yeah but..." before their clients are ready. It's like someone who comes into your bedroom when you're sleeping and lifts the shades saying "wake up, and get outside! It's a beautiful day!"

    When it comes to light, most people prefer a candle at first than a 10,000 candlepower floodlight in their eyes.

    Good point, too, about not being able to lead ourselves out of the woods. My buddy Hal and I have a contract we developed after many years of hearing about each other's problems ("rocks"). we noticed we often had the perfect advice for each other so I said one day, "why don't I just solve your problems and you solve mine?" I know I can solve his problems 100% to MY satisfaction, but whether it's to HIS is another thing... :)

    Also, I was curious who else you may have inspired to start a blog, and was wondering if you would link to them on your page (called a "blogroll").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jon. Great idea about linking to other blogs...I will ask their permission and link when they say they're ready. As I said, they are taking shape: one is gaining more confidence to do it (and watching mine fairly closely), two others are inspired to begin but haven't yet, and another is going to be writing for a very large audience, but the website hasn't yet launched.)

    I love your contract with Hal, and think that's just brilliant. And such a universal experience--haven't we all, to some extent or another, been able to see what others can't, because they are so immersed in their own problem and we stand outside it looking in?

    I'm curious....how often or how well do your solutions work for him and his for you?

    I think this would be a fabulous concept to start on a larger scale...would it be pairs of people or an entire web of support worldwide???? (I typed worldwise twice...is that significant, do you think?)

    ReplyDelete