Monday, August 17, 2009

Thanks to All, and Let's get to It!

Great....the second entry. Talk about pressure! I thought the first was hard to do, now I've got EXPECTATIONS to deal with! Aaaargh! (more on that later...but first....)

I must begin by saying Thank You to all those who read my first entry, and made a comment either here or on Facebook or to my personal email. I really am delighted by what you all shared, ranging from the "You go girl" to the "I expected more"--it was all wonderful learning for me, especially in the numbers that I received. With 8 followers and over 25 comments on just the first entry, I'm pretty floored by it all. This was not what I'd planned....and aye, there's the rub.

In the movie "Julie & Julia", our hero Julie begins to blog....and there's no one there. She writes and we hear her voice in her head, and she knows just what to say that's insightful and personal and daring and interesting. Of course, I was expecting the same experience as I sat to type, complete with soaring movie theme music and dead silence from the other side.

But didn't I say, "tell me what you think"? Yep, I sure did....But the fear that I hid so well, was that I didn't want to stand out, I didn't want to be "seen" and I didn't really want to be told anything other than "good on ya". I've seen too many people I cared about get shot down when they rose above the horizon. So in my world, "Keep your head down" is not just practical advice, it's survival.

This was a complete mystery to my brother Jon, who saw me as a Coach, heard me say that I spoke to groups large and small, and knew that I could write as well. He couldn't understand why I hadn't immediately identified my own "conflict", and he felt I needed one. But I resist conflict most of the time...It's quite uncomfortable for me, and I certainly didn't feel I needed "drama" in my blog. (Thank you to Kate for the timely link to Seth Godin's blog about drama. "Here's a surefire way to get and keep the attention of your audience: put on a soap opera... Paying attention, though, is not the same as buying or respecting.")

After several long emails between us both, he "got" me. He actually was able to tell me my own "Story", which was: Despite the appearance of confidence and capability in other arenas, this internet forum is really scary for me. However, I will NOT keep my head down with this blog....I will openly talk about my personal trials, obstacles, and failures....I will actually welcome comments from people I do not know, and that may include people who would love nothing more than to "bring me down" and bring more attention to themselves. I will bring to you stories and insights from my own clients, and what I have learned from them. And, finally, I will do this "regularly" (I wince at the word), even though I detest discipline. (Pavarotti once said, "People think that I am disciplined. I am not. I am devoted. There is a big difference.")

These are just a few of my Rocks. And still, I am devoted to removing the Rocks in my own Road, and to helping others do the same. Kate mentioned in her comments the concept of "rolling it forward", and I love that! So let the Rocks Roll...and here we go.

More on Wednesday, I promise. (Oh, and by the way, if you want to get these Posts as soon as I write them, I think you have to click on Subscribe somewhere on this page. I don't think being a "Follower" is good enough. Not absolutely sure on that though....I'll try to find out by Wednesday.)

Kristelle

2 comments:

  1. There you are, again, a head on the horizon. I'm checking out the view through your eyes, so don't get shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone else might think...."oh good grief, it's just a blog for goodness sake". But again, this is scary big time for me. And although it's not my business if someone shoots at me, I think my part is in not getting hit...or even if I do, to quickly pull out the bullet and say "No worries....it's just a scratch." And in the immortal words of Monty Python...."I'm not dead yet!"

    ReplyDelete